Practical Example of Action Sets and Add-Ins
In this article (and accompanying video) I want to present you with a practical example of Action Sets and Add-Ins and how they can help you in your every day docMgt life.
We all make mistakes but docMgt makes it easy to recover and get on with life! Action Sets and Add-Ins come to the rescue! Let’s look at what Action Sets and Add-Ins are and how they work.
Action Sets allow you to bundle several actions into one package. This includes changing record values, sending emails, doing look-ups and more. Action Sets are like mini workflows that can be called from various area of the system including inside Work Triggers and Add-Ins. They can even be called from inside other Action Sets. They are the perfect way to share actions with several processes. Write your routine one time and call it from many places like a re-usable module.
Add-Ins allow you to add buttons to certain areas of the system to perform actions. Add-Ins can call programs, bring up web pages or one or more actions. You can use them to add just that “something extra” to the application that makes the users’ lives easier. Add-Ins can also run – you guessed it – Action Sets.
Putting It All Together
Now back to our original premise of fixing your mistakes. Let’s say you just uploaded 1000 records and forgot to add a variable that your workflow requires to work correctly. You have a few options to fix this such as:
- You could delete the records, change your importer configuration and re-import them. However, if the records have a lot of documents that might take hours.
- You could search up all the records and add the data values into them manually. You can do that with the multi-edit function in the search. However, they are already routed so how do you undo that and route them again?
- You could just let them go and hope nobody notices. I won’t even go there…
BUT what if I told you you can save your upload and restart the workflow correctly fairly easily? I am going to answer this one for you – “Yes please!”
It is really a 4-step process using Action Sets and Add-Ins
- Create an Action Set to set your data value, cancel the current workflow and re-route the record.
- Create an Add-In that calls your new Action Set and make sure it shows up in the Search screen.
- Search up the records to fix. Typically you would use a combination of Record Type, Creation Date and some other value to find the right records.
- Run the Add-In on all the searched records.
- Bonus Step 5 – Sit back and bask in the glory of fixing this all by yourself!
Here is a video that walks you through the entire process
Hopefully you can see why this practical example of Action Sets and Add-Ins is VERY useful. Add-Ins and Action Sets can be used for many, many purposes for your end users but why not use them for yourself? Why not make your life easier by using them to fix problems? Unless you have never had a problem or made any mistakes…
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.